Sunday, August 24, 2008

Flagstaff Mountain Bike Festival

Sara and I decided late last week that we would do the Flagstaff race. Neither of us consider ourselves race ready but we said "What the Heck" and headed up. I was a little worried about the race due to the fact that I still have my extra weight I brought back on my gut from our summer in IL and that my Vassago is not quite ready so I would be racing my Ferrous which weighs somewhere in the range of the upper 20s lbs.

Sara and I got to Flagstaff and were soon joined by teammates (Darrin A., Tom, Evan and Matt). Matt took a pretty good crash on his roadbike this week so was going to take the weekend off of racing and help us with bottles. Sara and I were pumped cause it was our first race in our new Adrenaline / Vassago kits.

There was no Norba points or series points for this race so they started all Pros, Semis, SSers, and Experts together. It was a pretty big field. They scored all of us together except for SSers.

I felt suprisingly good. I felt great on the climbs and rode away from people but did my standard time losing decents. Man, I have to get better decending! Tom caught on the decent at the end of laps 1 and 2. He had to yell at me to let go of my brakes.

I was pretty happy with my race. I finished up 10th out of the Pros, Semis, and Experts.

Sara had a great race. She ended up getting 2nd out of the Pro / Expert women.

The rest of the ART Team did great as well. Tom and Darrin finished 1st and 2nd respectively out of the SSers and Evan finished a spot or two behind me.

Thanks to Matt for the bottles.

The awards ceremony in Flagstaff was great as well. We had a chance to catch up after our summer away over some post race refreshments.

Here is Tom at the start of the race.


4 comments:

Tom Ament said...

Nice job at the Race Zach... thats the fastest I have ever seen you ride!!! Maybe you should put on a little more weight!!

Also, the pole dancing exhibition was awesome!!! Is that what you do for cross training?

ZMoney said...

I think it was the White Castles and Polish Sausages back in Chicago this summer.

MCF said...

Congrats on the race Zach......you guys kicked some ass out there!

ZMoney said...

Thanks, it was a fun one. I was happy cause I checked after the race and saw that 7 of the guys infront of me were Pro or Semi.