Tuesday, September 23, 2008

12 Hours of McDonalds

My new race strategy was a success! Over the last few years I have stuggled with forcing myself to eat all the way through races like this. Endurox and EAS shakes get old after a while. Too many gels bunge up my tummy. So this race I decided I was going to get something that I love and crave often and nutritionally might not be too bad for an event like this. Before the race Sara picked me up 15 McDonalds hamburgers (7 with cheese). Most laps I ate one burger, 1 hammer gel, 1 bottle of Gatorade, and 1 bottle of water. I never had any problems with cramping or fatigue through the whole race. I usually ate my burger on the road section at the end the lap. People look at you kind of funny when you pass them eating McDonalds.

During my first 7 hours I felt great. The last 5 hours were good but there were some soreness issues. The issues during the race were not my butt. My issues were my shoulders and forearms getting really sore from the "Rocky Bitch" a pretty long gnarly rocky section that I am still trying to forget about. All my other problems were mental. I got a little freaked out over the course of I think laps 9 and 10. Over those two laps I saw 2 rattle snakes, a bat that flew after my lights for about a half of a lap (while I screamed like a litte girl), and a freaky old man wondering around in the dark. These things had kind of messed with my focus.

Tom was just the opposite of me. During the 1st half of his race he didn't feel that great and also broke a chain. Somewhere around 7 hours in he caught me and kept going. I don't how he rode 12 hours on a SS at this course.

I ended up winning the 12 Hour Geared category and Tom took 1st in the 12 Hour SS. We were the only two solo 12 Hr racers to finish 12 laps. We both could have gone out for lap 13 but we both decided against it.

Here are the RESULTS

Our team had some great results in other categories also.

I have to thank my lovely wife Sara and Misty from Vassago for the support and helping me through the race. I never even had to even leave the course.

Here are pictures from the race.

LeMans start.












Heading into and out of the feed zone.






















Tom















Camp.

































Sleeping arrangements and pit crew.

6 comments:

ssd, DC said...

Good racin Zach!!
Hey on another note, I am thinkin about replacing my Ibis with a Vassago Bandersnatchie 9er! What's your email?? can u send it to me, ssdelk@comcast.net

Mountaingoat said...

McDonalds...that's awesome.

The morning of 24/9 I had 4 breakfast burritos from there.

ZMoney said...

Shawn, I sent you an email today.

Goat, McDonalds Gooooooood!

ZMoney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MCF said...

Congrats Zach...you kicked some ass out there! I've definitely never been to a race where the 1st place winner ate cheeseburgers constantly....but it worked!!! Whoo hooo...

PS: Sara is awesome....and she doesn't have a stache!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, glad your doing well and kicking butt! Sara your a pro now, well you better be, you should be riding your bike 24/7:) Hope you guys are doing the Tour of the White Mountains would love to camp with you. Me and Kevin are going up. See ya soon

Spring