Monday, April 26, 2010

Whiskey 50

I wasn't quite sure how this year's Whiskey Off-Road was going to shake out. I am only half way back into shape and we got some wind, rain, and snow the days before the race and I hate racing in mud. Regardless of how the race was going to turn out for me the weekend was going to be a blast! Sara decided she wasn't ready for the 50 and decided she would do some volunteer work at the event. She is setting her sights for Temecula in June.

We had a big group coming into town to stay with us Friday night before the race. After packet pick-up and some dinner, breakfast prep for the morning, and some minor bike maintenance all nine of us were off to bed. (In separate rooms)

We all rose for some pancakes and sausage around 5:30. We did find some pieces of sausage in Sara's pill case the night after the race. I think it was compliments of Tom and Evan. Tom had a busy morning preparing for the race, playing hide the sausage, and hiding my shoes. Thanks BGT!!!

The day of the race couldn't have brought better weather. It was a little cool getting ready but perfect temp of 45 degrees for the start.

Evan and I getting Vassagos ready for the start.


















Evan sporting the vintage Straight-Up Cyclery jersey.















Here is me trying to sneak my Optimus onto a display stand in the Form Cycles tent without Daryl noticing.

















Once I got out there and got warmed up the race went great! I felt better and better as the race went on. A lot of people went out too hard and had problems on the big climb. I passed a ton of people on the 12 mile climb up from Skull Valley. It actually got pretty warm during the race. I wound up barely breaking 4 hours (3:59.25) which was slower than last year but still respectable and better than I had hoped. It is a sure thing that the Whiskey is no longer a small race. More and more freakishly fast people are showing up each year. Going to take a lot of work to try and get back into the top 20 next year.



Me at the finish




















Tom at the finish





















Tom saying something stupid
















Despite his stupidity Tom had a great race finishing 4th in Single Speed.

















I had a great day on the bike and a giant step in getting my body and racing back into shape. Thanks to Kris, Misty, and Vassago for the continued support!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You finally changed this sight.

Deezlekneez said...

Tom's stupidity helped him? Awesome pics...looks like you guys had a great time!

ZMoney said...

Great weekend!!! Luckily Tom didn't break his head this year and start fights at the hillbilly bars