Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Back in the Saddle

This past weekend I did my first solo 12 hour race since the whole bloody pee incident. This was also going to be Sara's very first solo 12 hour race as well as her first race since the fall. The race that we attended was 12 Hours of Temecula a race in the SOCAL Endurance Series

Friday morning we embarked on the beautiful drive through the mountains towards Temecula, CA.
























We made some stops around Temecula to pick up some dinner and burgers for the race and made it to the venue around 2:00. Jason the race promoter who is one of the nicest people you will ever meet was there to greet us. He gave us rock star parking with the vans being parked right by the demo/staging area where Daryl was going to set up the Form tent and display.


Once we were set up, we set out for a pre-ride. Sara and Daryl had never been here before and were amazed with the views and some of the wild sections of the course. Here is some footage I found from the January Temecula race to give you an idea of the course.

The course ended up being 9.3 miles with 1,100 feet of climbing per lap. After the pre-ride we ate some dinner and got to bed early.

The morning went smooth. We had the Vassago Solo pit area set up and it was time for race prep, racer meeting, and to the start line shortly before 9:00. Sara's started to get a little nervous before the start in trying to figure out if she had everything she needed in our pit area and realizing she was going to be on her bike for 12 hours.

The race went great. No bike issues. I felt great all day. I didn't quite have as much high end as I usually do in the early laps but all in all I felt good. Probably the high point of the race was when another solo guy yelled at me for fumbling in a techy section so I let him go by. We then got to the big switch back climb and this dude couldn't climb for poop. So I knobby rubbed him up the entire climb. He even got off his bike and told me to go by and I said "No, I'm fine." He got back on his bike and went and gave him a couple of more rubs right before I went past when the climb opened up. I think he got the point.

Another exciting point was the big rattle snake that said hello to me around one of the turns. He was far enough off the trail but still made a little poop come out.

I was happy with 12 Laps and 4th in the Pro Solo Class for my first 12 hour race in almost a year. Sara ended up 3rd in the Womens Pro Solo Class but would have been 2nd if she realized the results had shorted her one lap and had the times for 2 laps combined.

























Daryl had a great race finishing 1st in the Expert Solo Class. Tom Ament was having a great race until his broken ankle forced him to stop ridding. Tom Stack hammered out 11 laps and wins the award for the dirtiest legs.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

dude... you look fucking stoked in that picture.

ZMoney said...

I had to poop

ZMoney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Congrats Z and Sara.....sorry I only have enough time to abbreviate your name Z...it's so long....and now I've taken more time to explain. Glad your butt is doing better!