Wednesday, March 12, 2008

1984

Zach and I were invited to Brady's wife's birthday party on Sunday night. We had a good time. Brady grilled the most amazing salmon I've had in a long time. Yummy.

I almost missed the highlight of the evening. I don't know Susan (Brady's wife) too well, so I stayed in the kitchen and chatted for most of the night, while Zach and another group hung out in the TV room and watched mt bike DVDs.

I eventually made in there to watch and hang out. Turns out Billy (a long time mt biker transplant from Souther California) brought a bunch of old biking magazines....Mt Bike Action, Fat Tire Flyer and a few others. It was pretty cool flipping through, seeing some names of riders that I recognized. Seeing old advertisements for bike components that don't exist anymore.

I happened to pick up a Fat Tire Flyer from the year 1984. I read some of the letters to the editor, looked at the advertisements, read some of the race results. Kinda flipped back and forth.

Then the title "Chequamegon 40 Race Results" caught my eye. It is cool to read through race results but it has so much more meaning when the results are for a race you have competed in yourself.

It was the 2nd Annual Cheq 40 and there were 88 riders. Finishing seventh was none other than Wisconsin's very own....

No comments: