Sunday, October 12, 2008

DCB Adventures Estrella


















Sara, Layla, and I headed down to Phoenix for the first Dust Devil race of the year. Sara just started riding again this week so was just going to the race to hand me bottles and hangout with Layla and the team. We headed out of Prescott at about 5:00 am giving us plenty of time to get there and get situated before the 9:00 start of the xc race.

As we pulled up at the start at exactly 7:37 Tom rode up to the car and asked if I wanted to do the marathon with him. The only problem was that it started at 8:00 and both of us were still in street closes and had not registered yet. Well, needless to say we got ready and made it to the line at 7:59 with no warm-up. I think we both secretly wanted to do the marathon all along because it might suit us after the longer races we have been doing.

The 40 mile marathon started with a field of about 14 people. The race went pretty smoothly. Both Tom and I got good starts and were out front in the first couple of minutes. I kept Tom in sight for lap 1 and most of lap 2. He started getting out of sight about half to 3/4 through lap 2. After I lapped through and Sara handed me a bottle at the beginning of lap 3 I came around the corner to see Tom on the side of the course with a broken chain. I offered him a Powerlink and he said he was fine. I expected him to come flying past me the rest of the race but it never happened. I pushed on through the last two laps extending my lead on 2nd and held on for the win. I felt pretty good at the end, considering it was significantly shorter than the last couple races we have been doing. The race must of taken it toll on some of the competitors. Only about half of the people who started the marathon finished the race.

It was definitely a fun event. A bunch of the team was hanging out or racing along with displaying some Vassago frames at the Adrenaline tents.

2 comments:

MCF said...

Dude...YOU ROCK! YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!! I need your autograph....seriously, anyone that can get to a race, jump out of their car, register, get dressed and get to the start line 1 minute to spare is someone to watch out for!

Congrats on the win!

ZMoney said...

Thanks, Not to mention that half of that time was spent in a little blue house.