Sunday, November 9, 2008

12 Hours of Fury (Quitting While Your Ahead)




All I can say is I was having a great race. The Optimus with my new Reba was just flying over the rocky sections. I had a pretty good lead on 2nd place in the geared category and Tom was the only person overall of solo 12hr racers ahead of me when disaster hit. During my 6th lap I started having slight pains in my knee. This is a pain I have been trying to ride through for a the last month. It is from my crash at Tour of the White Mountains. I did a long ride in Sedona last weekend without any pain so I though I was going to be okay for this.

Anyway, during my 7th lap I couldn't bend my left knee at all. I had to ride in with just one leg about 3 miles. It was brutal. Because I was putting all of my weight on my right side, my right shoulder started hurting also which has been doing some weird stuff since my crash at Tour of Mountains too. When I got in I made the decision to call it quits. It was pretty hard to do especially since Sara told me I had nearly an hour lead at that point. I guess I should look on the bright side and be happy that I still got 6th place and only did about the first half of the race. So I am off to the doctor this week to try to figure this stuff out. I am still planning going to Temecula. I am going to take it easy this week and do a lot of icing. Sara, Uncle Jim, and Layla did a great job in my support and thanks to Darrin P. for the medical attention after the race.

Tom finished 11 laps getting 1st in SS and 1st overall of all 12hr solo racers. Evan took 3rd in the SS 12hr solo category. Pretty good for first 12 hour race. Darrin P., Robert, Dan, and Dan wound up taking 2nd in the 4 person 24hr.

It was a really cool event. It was a great turn out for a first year event. Jeremy the promoter is an awesome guy. He was very thankful for the support from the Adrenaline Team and the Vassago Jabberwocky frame donated for the raffle. There were a lot people checking out our bikes and a lot of people inquiring about how to win the Jabberwocky.







5 comments:

Unknown said...

Zach, it's time for the 'stache to go. Bummer about your injuries, hopefully nothing serious.

MCF said...

Hey Zach....take the off season to recover! You guys looked great out there!

However, that is the funniest picture I have ever seen of Tom. I could not stop laughing! :) See ya soon! M

Tom Ament said...

I think the stache needs to stay... it is part of Zach now... Awesome job on the first half of the race!! Also, Sarah was a total lifesaver with the support she provided... thanks Sarah!

Now, lay around and drink beer for the next week so you can get ready to hang around a drink beer at Temecula!!

ZMoney said...

Sorry Rachael the stache is going to be for a while longer. It is still getting better each day.

Seeing a sport medicine guy tommorrow about the knee. He is supposed to be pretty good.

Misty/Tom, Yes we shall have fun at Temecula.

ZMoney said...

Sorry Rachael the stache is going to be for a while longer. It is still getting better each day.

Seeing a sport medicine guy tommorrow about the knee. He is supposed to be pretty good.

Misty/Tom, Yes we shall have fun at Temecula.