Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oh yeah....Now that felt good

Short sleeve jersey and some black lycra. In the back pocket, sleeveless windbreaker and some arm warmers just in case. January in short sleeves. Man am I grateful. Here's the weather we'd be dealing with had we not moved.

The last couple of times I've gone out I've just done a loop from the house that includes the Iron King Trail that connects up to the Peavine trail. From the end of the Peavine I take Prescott Lakes Parkway home. It's pretty flat. Just some nice gradual ups and downs until the Parkway. Our FIRST RACE IS SATURDAY, and the course has some long , gradual grinding climbs with a short technical section. No major climbs like we have around here so I figured I should be trying to get in some rides with constant pedaling.

When we first moved in, we pretty much drove to all of the trailheads (except for the 305, which is super close). We live right off a major thoroughfare, so it seemed impossible to ride anywhere else safely. Now that we've got a lay of the land, we pretty much can ride to any set of trails from our house. It just involves some extra road time in order to take the safe route.

This is Prescott Lakes Parkway heading down towards Peavine. You can see Granite Mountain in the distance on the left and the Parkway ends down at the bottom where that other road in the center/right of the picture heads up. Peavine is at the bottom. Climbing up the Parkway takes me about 13 minutes. For all the times I've driven it, I've never checked the mileage.

No comments: