Wednesday, January 21, 2009

White Tanks

Don't really feel like I can call this the first race of the year cause I never really stopped racing in 2008.

Sara, Layla, and I got to Phoenix around 7:00 am Saturday morning. It was a beautiful morning down in the valley and our timing allowed Sara plenty of time to get ready for her 8:30 start. Unfortunately her race was cut short by a broken chain at the end of the first lap. (Details to come from Sara...)

The temps were mid 70s for the start of the Cat 1 race. There was a pretty big field and my nerves were extremely high for some reason. It was kind of a crazy start with a couple of crashes in the first couple curves and one caused by me and another guy hooking bars heading into the first big wash. I somehow kept it upright.

I settled in with the lead group of about 8 guys. It seemed that we put a fairly large gap on the majority of the field early in the first lap. The group I was riding with broke up a little in the second short technical section. It was one of those races where I was riding with and jockeying back and forth with the same 4 or 5 guys the whole race. On the final lap I had a little left in the tank and was able to pull away from the guys I was riding with and catch a couple of others.

I was able to pull out 2nd place finish. It was a great start to the season.















Tom had a great race finishing 2nd in the Advanced SS category.