Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Cry for help

Holy cow. So since we've been here, I've seen 3 coyotes. 1 in Chino, 1 in Sedona with Adam, Stacy, Aaron, and Amy. The 3rd was in our side yard a few weeks ago.

I rode the 305 yesterday after work (yes, I work on Monday's now, although only a half day). I was on my way back. It was desolate. I could see bike tracks in the damp soil but did not hear or see a soul out there. I crested a hill and heard what sounded like 10 coyotes. They were close. The sound they were making was more like a yelp than a howl or a bark. It was so loud. I jumped off the bike and ran a few yards to see if I could get a look. I saw just glimpses of bodies moving about but could not make out anything definite. I kept moving to see if I could put myself in a better position. Finally, as they started to quiet, I saw two haul ass down the hill right adjacent to the one I was on. They were heading in my direction but at an angle, so not right at me. I have to say I was a little scared. It was pretty cool though. Wish I would have had my camera. Probably wouldn't have gotten a good shot but I could have recorded the sound.

And today after a full and fairly trying day at work, I headed out to ride around our neighborhood. Not your typical neighborhood. There are many roads that have not been developed yet, so they absolutely require some sort of 4x4 vehicle to travel along, unless of course you are on a bike. So I head off to pedal a few of the paved roads and then hook up onto one of the off-road-dirt/boulder/gravel roads. Heading down a hill, I look up and see a deer stop in its path, look at me, and then take off across the road. Just up ahead, back onto paved road, I see a coyote trotting down through some brush. I stopped to watch him. He crossed the road I was on just a little bit ahead of where I was.

So my question is....do coyotes ever attack humans?

3 comments:

Mountaingoat said...

They only attack if you're by yourself in a desolate area...

Sara said...

Thanks. That makes me feel much better.

Anonymous said...

As long as you leave that nights steaks at home to thaw out instead of in your jersey pockets, you should be okay.