Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Lady of Leisure

My status is going to quickly come to an end. I applied for an Instructional Assistant Substitute position with the Prescott Unified School District (PUSD) a few weeks ago. I've been leaving the guy doing the interviews a message once or twice a week and finally got through to him yesterday. We set up an interview for today. It was about 45 minutes. Super nice guy. He's is the director of the district preschool. The adult to student ratio in his classes is 1 to 9. Is that normal for preschool? It seems pretty good. He said PUSD as a whole has the most positive and warm and welcoming atmosphere than any district he's been a part of.

Anyway, he is advising the district office to add me to the pool of subs! He will do a reference check and then they'll fingerprint me, hopefully next week, and do a background check which can take up to 4 weeks. Then I can start subbing! I will be filling in for teacher's assistants. It sounds like I will be working mostly with kids with special needs. Should be interesting. I'm sure Ashley (and Zach of course) will be able to give me a few tips.

I have really enjoyed the absence of work in my life. It made me realize how many things we blew off around the house. It's nice to be able to take care of things during the day so Zach can come home and just relax. I have not been bored at all. In fact I've been way busier than I thought I would be. I suppose if we weren't searching for a house I might not feel this way. It's probably good so I'm not so sad about leaving home.

The one problem that I have with not working is that I can not deal with the fact that I am not earning any money. And not to earn money so that I can just go blow it....Earn money so that I can budget it.... save for vacation, save for emergencies, save for a new car, save for retirement. I feel like I am cheating us out of our retirement....almost like I'm losing money.

I better take advantage of my last few weeks of freedom...although, if I don't feel like working one day, I just won't accept the job!!!!!!

No comments: