Sunday, September 2, 2007

White Spar

We met Robert at the Safeway on 89 at 8am. One other guy was supposed to show but opted for a run instead. Zach, Robert and I headed south on 89/White Spar Road. Another great morning: cool breeze, warm sun. In his normal, no-warm-up-fashion, Zach took the lead shortly after the start and picked up the pace. I wasn't quite settled in yet, so I called them back. They would slow up and wait for me to catch. Did that a few times until I felt more comfortable; then we all just rode at our own pace. I'd have to guess that we climbed straight for 20 or 25 minutes at the beginning. Then it turned into some downs and ups and twists and turns until we headed into Wilhoit, which was our turnaround point. It's 3 miles downhill into Whilhoit.

I am a big wimp on the descents. My max speed today was 34 mph. Robert got up to 41; Zach I think 40. It was hard, but it's not going to take quite as long as I thought to get acclimated to mountain riding. The views were amazing out there. Best yet. Zach climbed really good. We saw a ton of other riders. It's a popular route because the shoulder is fairly wide and the speed limit is 25 or 35 the whole time. White Spar is the start of the memorial ride that's coming up.

Tomorrow we are just going to head to Granite. Other than 347, Zach has only ventured onto 1 or 2 other trails there. We are going to go hit a few of the other ones.

No comments: