Saturday, September 1, 2007

We Got People

Okay, not quite, but we are making progress.

I added my name to the Prescott Cycling Group's email list this week. After only a few days of being on the list it seems they are really good about keeping everyone informed about the various group rides that are going on. Zach decided on a potential all-dayer for this morning. I decided to go out with the group that moved here from California that we met our first week out here at Thumb Butte. I've seen them once out at Granite and Zach and I ran into them this past week also. Up until today I couldn't quite put my finger on their age.

I met Pete and Peggy at 7:15 (I was on time!!) this morning out at the Cayuse, one of the trailheads at Granite Basin. We did some of the same trails that Zach and I have ridden, but in a different direction.

It was about an hour and a half ride. At the start I brought up the rear, but after the first climb, Peggy had me ride in front of her. Pete and I would ride together and wait for Peggy at the top of any climb. It didn't take long before I heard the basics of their story. Peggy and Jim and Pete and his wife are all from Southern California. Jim and Pete are old biking buddies (they've been riding for 10 yrs). Peggy and Jim moved here a few years ago and built a house. Pete and his wife moved from their original location in Cal. to an area farther out. After they moved, they quickly decided that it was still Southern Cal and still too busy. They ended up having the same builder build them a house down the street from Peggy and Jim. Over the last year and a half they have ridden just about every great mt biking area in the region. Utah, Colorado, Arizona...their list was really long.

At one point while Pete and I were waiting for Peggy, I mentioned how lovely the morning was and how biking has to be one of the greatest forms of exercise. He quickly agreed and started talking about all of the other benefits of biking...then mentioned that he does have to lift weights to keep his upper body strong...especially at 65!!!!! This guy was softpedaling our entire ride!!!! Holy cow. Can't believe how strong this guy is. I can't wait for him and Zach and Jim to go out sometime. I am not kidding when I say I'm not sure who is the stronger rider.

I also found out that Peggy has only been riding a year and a half. She has recently dropped 30 pounds...she was up at 188. So she doesn't quite have the endurance that Pete has but she is certainly a skilled rider for the amount of time she's been riding. It was really cool to hear her story.

It was a fun morning. I asked a million questions [Pat, I reminded myself of you:)] at every stop. I am sure I made them late to their next "appointment" at the local swap meet.

Zach rode for about 5 hours with some stops along along the way. Hit some spots we probably wouldn't have tried on our own. Tomorrow morning we are doing a group road ride. There's a 54 mile memorial ride coming up September 16th we want to prepare for.

No comments: