Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Ahhhh, the 305

Saturday August 11th. Zach wanted to try once again to scout out a route off of Perkinsville Rd that would take him all the way to Prescott Valley. There are a ton of fire roads that might get him there, but it seems that many of them take you into private property. He could be much more efficient at that type of ride without me (I like to take pictures every few minutes and need to stop to catch my breath every now and then too), so I ventured off to try the 305, another recommendation from Pete at Ironclad. The 305 is part of the Lynx Lake Recreation Area, which is in between Prescott and PV, south of 69.

Although there are many, many trails we have not ridden yet, I think I found my favorite. It starts in a low brush area with rocky/sandy soil. Quick ups and downs and twists and turns. You cross through a gate (like the kind at Kettle, except tighter) on either side of Walker Rd and head down towards the Lynx Creek Ruin. Take a short ride up the 301 to the ruins for some excellent views. Continue on the 305 and pass by a few campgrounds to find some of the greatest singletrack ever. The smell of the pines is intoxicating. It's another out and back... and you don't realize as you are heading out until the last mile or so when the trail really heads up, but you are climbing most of the way...with fun ups and downs as you go. Ugh...I wish I could write better...my description does not do it justice. Zach and I have since been back together, and his favorite is still the 347. There both super fun but I just die for the pine trees and the views on the 305.




No comments: