Tuesday, August 21, 2007

August 1 & 2, Perkinsville Rd & Rails to Trails

The ongoing quest to find Zach a commuting route to work. It seems logical that there would be a safe bike route from Chino Valley into Prescott or Prescott Valley. We've been searching but have not found a way that will not result in Zach getting shot by an angry rancher or getting plowed down by bull.

I headed east from Chino on Perkinsville Rd. We've heard you can take this all the way up the Black Hills into Jerome. Looking at the map, Perkinsville actually turns north and takes you all the way up to I40 into Williams, which is west of Flagstaff. I must not have gotten the complete route from the guy. It looks like you have to turn off of Perkinville onto FR318, which is where I was headed. I took the right onto FR318 (I think...it's not marked). Shortly after I took the turn, I saw a huge cow that looked like it was in a pen, leaning up against the gate. A gate that I couldn't exactly see but certainly knew that it was there. As I rode closer to the very large animal, it heard me and bolted (thank goodness) away from me into the pen. The pen that was NOT gated. Apparently I had ventured into free-range area. Holy crap, that freaked me out. All of the bulls and cows were staring at me as I went past. I didn't go very much further before I scared myself half to death and decided to turn around. I had to ride back past them...I think they were just as scared of me. Top to Bottom: Granite Mountain, high school football practice, the Black Hills.

The next day I tried the rails to trails path that intersects Perkinsville west of FR318 (closer to Chino). It's a nice path, great views, and heading in the direction of Zach's school. We've heard conflicting information - that it does and that it does not connect Chino with Prescott and/or PV. I quickly found out that it does not currently connect Chino with anything. Apparently the BLM and NPS are still working to acquire all of the land between the Peavine trail and the Rails to Trails. I am sure it's still years out before they connect. Left to right and top to bottom. View west to the hills in Chino Zach and I rode, either the Bradshaw Mts or the Black Hills, Granit Mt, Bradshaws?, and the end of the road.

No comments: